This word seemed like just another in a long list of related words that wouldn’t be interesting enough to make it onto the blog until I got to the final sense. Fascinating. I would never have guessed.
He who or that which advances.
2. One who extols or lauds; an extoller, supporter. Obs.
3. Rhet. Amplification, auxesis, or climax. Obs.
4. One who puts forth (a statement); an asserter.
5. One who gives (money) before it is legally due, or who lends it for any purpose.
6. A second branch of a buck’s horn.